Sunday 12 October 2014

Alexander McQueen-Savage Beauty and the V&A

On every trip I take to see family in London Town, my little fashion toes always ends up in the V&A, lucky for me it's a short walk to the lovely museum from my families place. I love this museum, but mainly the fashion area, overall the museum is fascinating but my nose always leads me to the fashion section (I won't lie I make a bee line for it!) I love all the collections displayed and they do amazing exhibitions, I once was lucky to see Grace Kelly - Style Icon exhibit in 2010 and it was amazing, the displays, the dresses ..yes I swooned
Featured in the fashion area, is collections from throughout the centuries and it's just breath-taking..from 18th century ball gowns to Designers Chanel in 1936, Mary Quant, princess Diana's dresses/suits to Alexander McQueen it's beautiful to be able to admire these pieces up close
Here's a few pic's from previous visits.
  Chanel one piece suit from 1936!    Alexander McQueen's 2006 collection
   Dior circa 1940


Alexander McQueen once said "the collections at the V&A never fail to intrigue and inspire me. The nation is privileged to have access to such a resource ....it's the sort of place I'd like to be shut in overnight" And I always feel that exact same way about the V&A, I could spend hours there.

But the reason I am blogging about it now is because of Alexander McQueen.
I feel that if you are anyway interested in fashion, this is one you need to know about.

Savage Beauty - the exhibition of Alexander McQueen will be arriving at London's V&A, and to say I'm ecstatic is an understatement.


After a sell out run in New Yorks metropolitan museum and art in 2011, A room dedicated to McQueens years as a fledging london designer will be added to the original met line up,which spans his 1992 graduate collection to his unfinished A/W 2010, along with a homage to one of McQueens dearest friends, Kate Moss. The hologram of the British model in a billowing organza gown from McQueen's Widows of Culloden catwalk show (A/W 2006-7)will be restored to almost life size.
More than 30 garments will be displayed, including several pieces that couldn't be transported to New York. The production company that collaborated with Alexander McQueen in staging his catwalk shows, have also come on board to work with the V&A on the exhibition, helping create an atmosphere which was very much like his shows within the museums exhibition space... I truly believe this is going to be spectacular and I know that at some stage between March and July 2015, I will definitely be in London standing admiring his collection!
Tickets are available here: http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-alexander-mcqueen-savage-beauty/







No comments:

Post a Comment